Thursday 20 June 2013

Things That Make My Life.

My life isn't all about listening to and playing music. Although that is a big part of my life, there are other things that make me get up in the morning. (Some of these will be music related!).
Me at a the Hallraiser Concert at my school.

Music in general - I have never thought about my life if I'd never decided to sing or pick up guitar but it wouldn't be anything near as fun as the life I have now. Obviously, I love music. It is what makes my world go round whether it's playing, composing or listening, it is just great. If I didn't think so I'd not be doing two music based A-Levels next year.

The Smiths - I've made this one I've made pretty clear but have never really explained why they are such a massive part of my life. My Dad is a massive Smiths fan and when I was younger he played them in the car to get my brother and I into them and we absolutely hated it! I don't really know what it was about the Smiths I didn't like but there was definitely something - maybe the fact that Morrissey was so miserable and my naive little head couldn't take it? But anyway, as I grew older and I became more aware of culture and love and politics my love for the Smiths grew and grew and they have now become one of my most loved bands. The Smiths changed my whole outlook on life - whether that is a good thing or a bad thing I do not know at the minute but for the time being I like being the angsty teenager I am.
Karl Marx (in case you didn't know)

Politics - In my house I was always told never vote Blue. I find it funny that until about age of 12, I didn't realise the Conservatives had any other name but the Tories. At 14, my Dad started to talk to me about Marxism and Thatcherism because of a school project I had to do. He didn't force me to believe what he believed, he instead gave me both arguments and told me to make a decision on what I believed in. In a lot of ways I think that was one of the most important things my Dad has ever done for me because without it I wouldn't be here writing this now with my books on Occupy and Marx. I am very thankful to my Dad for giving me a choice in who I would grow up to support - the amount of  kids these days that will vote Labour or Torie because they grew up reading the Daily Mail or The Morning Star and they never had a chance to balance their views. It's sad that in a democracy your choices on who you vote for end up being made for you by your parents anyway in this modern day. I was told to teach myself about the Political world so it's my own view.
My favourite book

Books - I like reading, I'm a slow reader but I really do love it. I've made it clear that my favourite author and the author that got me into reading was and still is Iain Banks and that I wouldn't be doing literature if I hadn't been introduced to him. Stories and ideas make my head run wild. I have an incredibly over active imagination and if I'm having a night were the heating coming on becomes the start of a zombie apocalypse then books are my best way out of that frame of mind and into a calm state again. I like messages in books, if someone writes something I would one day like to quote I am a bad person and underline the whole passage for my future self.

My cat - About ten years ago, my parents bought me a ginger boy cat with green eyes. Little did they know, that was my dream cat and his name is Pharaoh. My cat and I are best friends and he's sitting in my lap right now. He means a lot to me because whether I'm feeling great or rubbish, he doesn't care - he only wants his belly scratching and that is it! So in essence, he's just always there for a hug even if he doesn't really want to be. Also what I like about him is that he only does this with me, I AM THE CHOSEN ONE!
Old photo but me and my buds!

My friends - Cliché, I know but it took me a long time to find them and it will take me a long time to let them go. All my life I've been hurt by people who thought it was clever or funny to take me in and spit me back out again and those people led me to my current social circle. These people are the best people I've ever met because we have all been through similar situations throughout my life. We are all incredibly happy to stand there in the corridor talking about Pokemon rumours and playing them on our new/old Gameboy Colours.

Gaming - I have a younger brother so I missed the Gameboy playing days of the 1990s because I was fixated on the Teletubbies - this is why I don't really count myself as a 90s kid. Although this is the case, my first games console was a my Dad's Gameboy Original and my first game was Super Mario. We then upgraded to a PS2 > Wii > PS3 and XBOX 360 and I'm a big fan of explorer games such as Assassins Creed and GTA. I sit there for hours and rarely get frustrated (unlike my brother) at the games, I just see them as another story for me to follow. Gaming is one of my favourite pass times and more recently I have been getting into the Pokemon games because my brother wouldn't let me on his when I was a kid - they are just great!

My Family - Another cliché but who cares. I am very lucky to have the supportive family I do, they are great. If I hadn't had my family to push me to do the things I'm doing I think I'd barely leave the house. My brother is my friend, my Dad is my teacher and my Mum is my councillor. They are so good to live with, when I think about where and who I could have grown up with it makes me feel so fortunate.

I think this covers the basics. Obviously this isn't in any order in particular, see this more as a mind map of things rather than a list. Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/IAmRumbleRoar
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment